Work With Us
SPIRIT NORTH is hiring in Alberta!
We are looking for an enthusiastic and outstanding individual to lead program delivery for Indigenous youth this winter.
See the full job post below, or download a copy here: Job Post – SN – 2019 COL Traveling
Community Outreach Lead, Alberta Traveling
Spirit North is an organization committed to empowering and inspiring Indigenous youth through sport and play. Established in 2009, Spirit North now works in over 50 communities reaching an average of 6,000 youth annually. Our programming is designed in collaboration with teachers, students and community members to fit the unique needs, culture and knowledge of each community we serve.
The Opportunity: Spirit North has a full-time position available for delivering programs to Indigenous Youth and communities in the Edmonton, Slave Lake, Atikameg, Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan areas.
This position will be 50% traveling, 50% based out of one area.
1) Reporting to the Regional Coordinator, Spirit North is seeking an outstanding candidate to provide leadership and assume responsibility for Program Delivery to the youth of the above mentioned areas.
The Fit: This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional leader with coaching experience, enthusiasm for working with youth, and cultural sensitivity toward Indigenous peoples. Successful candidates will possess basic cross-country ski abilities (or willingness to learn), strong communication, motivational and organizational skills. This position requires a willingness to work flexible hours, travel frequently and contribute to a team environment.
This job can be split between one or more interested and qualified individuals.
The Locations: Areas of work include, but are not limited to: Edmonton, Slave Lake, Atikameg, Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan areas.
The Process: Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Applications are to be submitted electronically to:
Laura Filipow, Program Director
Email: email@example.com Phone: 587-879-8933
Job title Community Outreach Lead – Alberta Traveling
Reports to Regional Coordinator
The Community Outreach Lead is responsible for the direct coordination, implementation and delivery of the Spirt North outreach program and services.
Duties and responsibilities
- Planning and implementation of an ‘in school’ cross-country ski and sport program based on the Spirit North methodology. This will include teaching basic technique and skills of cross-country skiing, games, activities and ensuring students and program participants have a positive, supported experience.
- Planning and implementation of an ‘after-school’ cross-country ski and sport program based on Spirit North methodology.
- Development and facilitation of collaborative opportunities between community leaders, school administrators, transportation, and ski area operators.
- Development and co-ordination of local volunteer network for assistance with program delivery days.
- Planning and delivery of parent and community information sessions.
- Assistance and support with development of competitive opportunities for interested schools and communities.
- Management and oversight of evaluation process as directed by the Program Director.
- Planning and delivery of one ‘Multi-Community Festival Ski day’ (with assistance from SN management).
- Regular and reliable communication with Spirit North management.
Qualifications Qualified candidates for this position must possess:
- Grade 12 diploma.
- Driver’s license.
- Basic First Aid.
- Willingness to complete NCCP training to Community Coach Level (CC) in cross-country skiing
- Clean criminal record check including vulnerable sector
- Strong organizational skills, strong communication skills, xc-ski experience. Competitive experience not required, but strong demonstrated skills and comfort level on skis an asset.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and strong cultural sensitivity of Indigenous people.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and ability to engage and work in a meaningful, supportive manner with Indigenous youth.
- Basic knowledge of physical literacy, nutrition and health issues facing Indigenous Canadians.
- Ability to convey, listen to and interpret cultural information and opinions of diverse audiences with professionalism and sensitivity.
- Willingness to share areas of competence with others and willing to coach and encourage the meaningful contribution of others both within and external to the organization.
- Ability to show personal leadership within the position, through goal-setting, delegating work and meeting timelines consistently.
- Willingness to participate in the ongoing change process required of a small, growth-oriented organization and contribute to a constructive and positive “team” atmosphere.
- Proficiency with Google Docs
Location, working conditions, travel and physical requirements
Ideally, successful candidates will reside in or nearby the community where program delivery is to take place. If working conditions require candidates to travel, all travel/accommodation expenses will be covered as per SN policy.
Candidates should possess moderate to high levels of physical fitness and ability. Job requirements include large amounts of time spent skiing, partaking in physical activities with children, and loading/unloading of ski equipment.
1) The Community Outreach Lead (COL) reports to the Spirit North Regional Coordinator.
2) The COL is responsible for the supervision of other staff and volunteers who may be employed to assist during outreach activities and festival days.
This is a full-time contracted position with a competitive salary for the 2019-2020 ski season. This job can be split between one or more interested and qualified individuals.